New to the UK? Get support in your local area

Support in your area

It can feel exciting and overwhelming when you move to a new city. There are some useful websites to give you information about the support that is available for you and help you settle in to your new life in Greater Manchester.

GP Services

Urgent Medical Help

Finding a dentist

Jobcentre Plus

Careers Advice


Food Banks

Resettlement in the North West

Manchester Town Hall
Paramedics pushing a stretcher

Urgent Medical Help

You should go to an A&E department in a hospital for a life-threatening medical problem. If it is an extreme emergency, you can phone 999 and ask for an ambulance.

Click on the link below to find out more about the right service for your needs, including where to find your local emergency services. 

Visit the NHS (National Health Service) website

GP Services

A GP is a family doctor. They are highly trained in all aspects of general medicine. All UK residents are entitled to the services of an NHS GP. You can visit your GP surgery if you have a problem with your health and it is not an emergency.

You should register with a GP as soon as possible. Visit the NHS website to help you find a GP near where you live. To register with a GP you will need to show them proof of ID and address.

If you want to see your GP, you need to make an appointment. You can make an appointment by telephone, online or in person. If it is not urgent, you might need to wait a few days for an appointment. It is also possible to have an appointment over the phone.

GP surgeries are usually open Monday-Friday 8.30am- 6.30pm. Some surgeries are open on a Saturday. If your GP surgery is closed, you can phone the non-emergency NHS 111 phone line.

Read the NHS website to find more details about the services provided by a GP. This includes information about how to find a GP, registering with a practice and making an appointment.

A close up of a GP's uniform
A dentist working on a patient


If you are looking for an NHS dentist near you, visit the NHS website to help you find one. The website tells you about what services NHS dentists can offer you, including the cost of treatment. 


Finding a job

If you want to work or claim benefits, you will need a National Insurance number. You can phone 0800 141 2075 to apply. You will then need to go for an interview at Jobcentre Plus. You must show them your passport or biometric residence permit to prove that you can work in the UK. Go to the GOV.UK website for more information.

Your local Jobcentre Plus can give you free help and advice if you are unemployed and actively looking for work. It is a  personalised service for anyone looking for a new job- the advisor can give information on jobs near you, tell you about training and courses, and help you with your CV and job application forms. You can also get help with applying for benefits. 

Scrabble tiles spelling out the word "Search"
Close up of a person wearing a suit, sitting next to a laptop and giving advice

Careers Advice 

The National Careers Service can give advice and guidance to you to help you make decisions about learning, training and work. You can open an account on their website or phone them and speak to a trained advisor.

Read more about the National Careers Service here

Housing problems

If you are at risk of becoming homeless, you should contact your local authority as soon as possible. To find your local council, you can visit the website.

There are some other organisations who you can contact for support with housing problems, including homelessness:

  • Citizens Advice has some useful information on their website on steps you can take and how to apply for homeless help. Visit their website for details.
  • Shelter is an organisation that provides free advice and for people who have housing problems. You can visit their website to find out more and how to access their free helpline.
Learner studying online, using a laptop
Inside a supermarket

Food Banks

A food bank is a charity that gives food to people in poverty to avoid hunger. Visit the Trussell Trust website to to find your local food bank or other emergency food provider. The website also gives information about how to get food vouchers and there is a helpline if you need support. 

North West Regional Strategic Migration Partnership logo

Resettlement in the North West

North West Regional Strategic Migration Partnership works with various organisations across the North West of England to co-ordinate advice and support to migrant communitiesView their website for news, events and useful resources for asylum seekers and refugees. They also have a page with helpful information for Hong Kong British National (Overseas) status holders. 

Translate this site >>