Our privacy notice explains what personal information is collected, what it is used for and who it is provided to. The notice also describes why the Council requires your data, and the legal basis on which it does this.
This privacy notice relates to the Council’s ESOL Service, the Greater Manchester ESOL Advice Service and provides additional information that specifically relates to these particular services and should be read together with our general privacy notice, which provides more detail on the questions below.
Read our general privacy notice (manchester.gov.uk).
1. What kinds of personal information does this service use?
This service uses personal information, such as:
- Contact details
- Date of birth and age
- National Insurance number
- Immigration and residency status
- Financial and employment situation
- If you require childcare support to attend classes
- Your learner history and ability
- Your reasons for being placed on an ESOL course
- Courses offered to you, start date and attendance
This service also uses the following special category personal information if you choose to provide this:
If you do not provide this information, this will not affect your application.
2. What is your personal information is used for?
The Council uses your personal data for the following reasons:
- To provide ESOL assessments and help arrange suitable courses in Manchester for Manchester residents.
- To help co-ordinate and manage suitable ESOL placements within some Greater Manchester areas.
- To let you know if there are other non ESOL courses, learning opportunities or support available where you have indicated your interest.
- To find out if you are continuing with a course that you have accepted to help manage our waiting lists and understand if our service is effective.
- To find out who is using our service and to improve our services for example where groups are under represented.
- To create statistics to be used when providing reports to the Greater Manchester Combined Authority (GMCA) about the Greater Manchester ESOL Advice Service. Your personal information will not be shared with GMCA, as this will be anonymised.
- If you have referred your customer/client to our service, we keep information about who has made the referral.
3. What is the lawful basis we are relying on to use personal information?
We collect and use this information under:
- Article 6(1) (e) UK General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR): the processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest, or in the exercise of official authority vested in the controller
If you provide information about your ethnicity and/or disability, we collect and use this information under:
- Article 9 (2)(g) GDPR and Schedule 1 Part 2 Data Protection Act 2018: processing is necessary for reasons of substantial public interest, and equality of opportunity.
- Art 9(2)(j) and schedule 1 Data Protection Act 2018: It is necessary for statistical purposes.
4. Where has your personal information come from?
- local authority ESOL coordinators in Greater Manchester;
- referrers such as the Job Centre Plus or community organisations and support services where you have indicated an interest in an ESOL course, and have asked for your details to be provided to us;
- other ESOL course providers to confirm if you are continuing with a course.
5. Who we will share your personal data with
Your personal data is shared securely with the following organisations where it is both necessary and appropriate to do so.
We share your personal data with the following organisations:
- ESOL course providers who can offer you a place on an ESOL course in your area
- Local authority ESOL hub co-ordinators in your area, or the area where you have indicated a preference to study
- Job Centre Plus and other referral agencies that have passed on your details to us with your agreement, and they require an update about the referral, for example whether you have completed as assessment.
6. How long will we keep your information?
- Our retention schedule sets out how long we keep personal information for. The ESOL Advice Service keeps your information for 18 months.
What rights do you have in relation to your personal information?
You can read about what rights you have regarding the personal information used for this service on our website: manchester.gov.uk
How to contact us
If you have any questions or concerns about how the Council uses your personal information, please contact the Council’s Data Protection Officer.
Complaints or queries
If you have any concerns about the way we use your personal information, we would ask you to come to us first for help. You do however have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office:
- 0303 123 1113 (local rate)
- Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF.