Statement of Service
Statement of Service
ESOL Advice Service is available to all Greater Manchester residents.
What is the ESOL Advice Service?
If English is not your first language, you may wish to join an ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) course. The ESOL Advice Service can offer you an assessment of your speaking, listening, reading and writing skills in English and advise you on the course level and the type of course or other support that would best meet your needs and personal circumstances. We will contact you when we have suitable learning opportunities for you.
What you can expect from us:
- Free impartial assessment of your English language skills and advice on suitable programmes.
- We do not provide courses. We work with colleges and other course providers in your area where we can signpost you to join a suitable course.
- After the assessment, we will look for a place on a suitable course or learning opportunity for you in your preferred college, but we will also consider other course providers that may have a place for you.
- We do not know how long you may have to wait for a place on a suitable course as courses have different eligibility criteria, but we will contact you by text message or phone about a place as soon as it becomes available.
- We may contact you about other types of support if you have indicated your interest in at the time of the assessment.
- When you join an ESOL course, you may need to do a more detailed assessment to make sure you are on the right course.
- We will keep your personal information that we have asked you to provide at the assessment securely stored in line with GDPR General Data Protection Regulations for up to 18 months after your assessment.
What we expect from you:
- We ask for your patience while you are waiting to join an ESOL course. Places on free, government funded ESOL courses are in high demand across all areas of Greater Manchester.
- You may need to be flexible about the days, times or location of the course – this may shorten the waiting time for a course.
- You must follow the instructions in the message about the course offer if you want the place- you will be turned away by the course provider if you just turn up for the class without a message from the ESOL Advice Service.
- You must also reply to our message if you don’t want the place offered- we need to know the reason why the course is not suitable for you. This will help us to offer you a more suitable course next time.
- If we do not get any response from you to 3 or more course offers made, we will send you an email or a letter by post asking you to contact us.
- We will stop contacting you with course offers and assume that you no longer need a place on an ESOL course if you don’t get in touch with us after you have received this type of a letter or email.
- Please let us know if you relocate and no longer need a place on an ESOL course.
- You will find our contact details on your ESOL assessment card and on our website at gmesol.org/contact